Monday, February 3, 2014

Feedly Response # 3


“DAVE JORDANO: DETROIT: UNBROKEN DOWN” is the title of a blog post which was posted to Lenscratch on Feb 3, 2014, which I found particularly interesting.   Dave Jordano is a photographer from Detroit who’s work is about capturing the lives of people in his home town, Detroit.  His work depicting the hardships of people’s lives in Detroit is being shown at the United Photo Industries Gallery in Brooklyn, New York from February 6th until March 21st of this year.  Jordano graduated from the College for Creative Studies in Detroit in 1974 receiving a degree in photography.  After receiving his degree he went on to be a freelance commercial photographer for mainly food and other products for 30 years.  But after he earned his living doing this he was able to go back to what he loved, fine art and documentary photography, which he has earned several awards and honorable mentions for and has permanent exhibitions at over 10 museums and galleries around the world.
I am normally not drawn to portraits but this specific collection of work stuck my attention.  His dedication to documentary photography and sheading light on his city has really touched me.  When I was in high school I was able to make a photography book for my senor project.  I choose to make a book on New York City, my hometown, to show the side of the city and its hidden wonders that make it so amazing from the viewpoint of a born and raised New Yorker.  This is one of the reasons I love his work and can relate to wanting to show and share your view of the city you love so much.


My favorite image from his series 

No comments:

Post a Comment