Monday, March 24, 2014

Feedly #9


Transformational Imagemaking: Handmade Photograph Since 1960 is the title of a blog post on Lenscrath By Aline Smithsoon on March 23, 2014. This post is about the book called Transformational Imagemaking: Handmade Photograph Since 1960 by Robert Hirsch. The book is made up of works of multiple artist who go beyond the boundaries of "normal" photography by using an alternative photographic processes threw combining different mediums and subject matter. the series of images will also be on display at the CEPA Gallery in Buffalo, New York, which I hope to go see while i am in the area this summer.

When i first saw these photos they reminded me of an experience i had when i was younger. I have a family friend who is an artist, Max Toth, who I watched create a piece using tape, which was for a project he was doing while at Yale. He would create a painting and then randomly tape over parts of it and then create another painting on top. the specific one i remember watching him do which reminds me of this work was of the Hover Dam and the Grand Canyon. I remember when he pulled the tape off you could still clearly make out each monument and it really played with your mind. This was the reason i was initially drawn to this work by Robert Hirsch. I really like how the post talks about how the artist dive beneath the external surface to get to the heart of the experience.

I really love the two quotes presented in the post which I plan to save and think about. I love quotes and have a document full of my favorite ones and the two i found in this post are as follows:

"We constantly tend to misuse or misunderstand the term reality in relation to photographs. The photograph itself is the only thing that is real."- Robert Heinecken

and
"The photographer’s vision convinces us to the degree that the photographer hides his hand."
- John Szarkowski


My two favorite photos from this series are by Matthew Brandt "Convict Lake" and by Chris McCaw. "Sunburned"


No comments:

Post a Comment