Monday, March 17, 2014

FEEDLY RESPONCE #8


“RE-RUNS: GREER MULDOWNEY: 6,426 PER KM2” is a blog post on Lenscratch by Aline Smithson created on March 16.  During this post Smithson re visits discussing Greer Muldowney’s work titles “6,426 PER KM2”.  She re post her discussion made in 2012 about Muldowney and her work now because she is has been selected for the 2014 PDN’s Choice of 30 New and Emerging Photographers to Watch. “6,426 PER KM2” captures the urban landscape in Hong Kong.  When I saw these photos I was instantly drawn to them because of the repetition of the colors and geometric shapes of the buildings and for some of the same reasons Smithson was. Photos of urban landscapes especially buildings can seem very busy and crowded but these photos covey a calming sense, possibly due to the static repetition of shapes and soothing colors. I always try to capture photos of the natural world with out any people in it, which is becoming more and more difficult.   I am assuming threw retouching her photos she went back and edited out all the people in order to focus only on the landscape and architecture.  I feel that this makes the viewer able to find beauty in the photos, which they would not have otherwise.  The way she captured repetition of shape and color really makes me feel in a tranquil place, while I know that if I was actually there this would not be the case.   I agree with Smithson that the images block out the noises and smells of this very busy city allowing to viewer to focus on less obvious aspects.


here are two images (also my two favorite) which i believe are very peaceful but also represent cities around the world



No comments:

Post a Comment