Monday, March 31, 2014

Feedly Reader Response #10


The blog post titled “JONAS YIP: SOMEWHERE BETWEEN” was posted on Lenscratch on March 26, 2014 By Aline Smithson.  Jonas Yip has many roles, besides his role as a photographer; he is also an engineer and is part of the Lenscratch team.  Here is a quote from the blog post about his work, “Somewhere Between shows us a country in transition, the old and new blending into a unique landscape, but the project also allows for a personal examination of the idea of ‘home’ ”.  I really enjoyed looking/ thinking about his work and thinking about ideas of home which I have generated from my own experiences as well as a previous post I made (Feedly Reader Response #6) about “CHRISTIANA RIFAAT: SO IT GOES”.   

When I look at his images I feel like there are a lot of different layers to look at and contains several overlapping aspects.  At first the work was astatically pleasing to me because of how the photographer used space and color but after looking at it for a while after reading about it, different elements appealed to me.  The idea of home, has so many different aspects to it which I think he captured really well.  He captured feelings, people, nature, people, familiar scenes, views ect. which for me have to do with the idea of home.  I am from New York City, which is why I may have a connection to these images because they are not of just one house; I interpret them as what layers come together to create home.  For me the things in my neighborhood, the feeling or smell of the air and the people around me make me feel at home.  I really like how the treatment of the images were consistent and portrayed a specific temperature and feeling to the air.   In the post Yip says he is “curious to discover where I trained my lens”, this is an idea, which I think I need to focus on in my work.


Favorite images






No comments:

Post a Comment